The following is an aggreement between the person (henceforth “you”) registering to the ThingEngine
Cloud Service, and the Mobisocial Computing Laboratory of Stanford University
(henceforth “the service provider”). If you are acting
on behalf of an organization or company, you agree that you have the permission
to sign this agreement.
By registering for the ThingEngine Cloud Service (henceforth “the service”), you
agree to the following:
- You are at least 18 years of age, or at least 13 years of age and have the consent of your parent or guardian.
- You are not a resident of Syria, Iran, North Korea or any other state that are subject of a trade embargo from the United States.
- You will not use the service for any purpose illegal in the United States.
- You will not use the service for distributing pornography, promoting drug use, promoting discrimination based on race, religion or political affiliation,
promoting the sale of weapons.
- You will not attempt to elevate your privileges, access the account of other users, or access any other service in the same machine.
- You will not abuse the service, including but not limiting to installing apps that have abnormal CPU, memory or storage usage.
- You will not attempt to use the service to access online services or devices that you did not have the right to use, or otherwise in contravention to
the terms of service for the respective service providers.
- You will not attempt to use the service to circumvent copyright protection measures.
- The account is strictly personal. You agree that this the only account that belongs to your person or organization, you agree not to share any access
token or credential for this account with any other party.
Ownership of the data
- You retain the ownership of any intellectual property that you submit to the service.
- Notwithstanding the previous point, you agree to give the service provider a perpetual, world-wide, royalty-free license to distribute, copy, sublicense,
reproduce, make derivative works of any submission you make, be it code or
credentials, for the limited purpose of this service.
- The service provider agrees that it will not use your submitted credentials except as required to properly execute the apps that you install and activate.
Furthermore, the service provider agrees not to execute any other app
that you did not expressively enable, and it agrees not to run any app at
times or in contexts that are not those specified by the app code.
- In addition, if you submit a contribution to the Thingpedia public database of data and devices (“Thingpedia”), you agree to grant the service provider a perpetual, world-wide,
royalty-free license to distribute, copy, sublicense, reproduce, make derivative works of
that contribution, for any purpose.
- As a special exception, you might submit code to Thingpedia for which you are not the copyright owner, as long as that code is open source and licensed under a
license that is compatible with the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later.
This includes the Apache 2.0 license, the GNU Lesser General Public License, the
Berkeley Software Distribution (“BSD”) license, and others.
- You agree not to submit any contribution for which you do not have the necessary copyright license, or which you are unable to adhere to the previous two points.
Submissions that violate this or the previous two points will be removed without notice.
- If you own any right or title to material that is published on Thingpedia, and you believe it was improperly submitted, pursuant to the United States Digital Millennium
Copyright Act, you might send a notice over email to
with subject “DCMA Takedown notice”.
- The service is licensed, not sold. The website, the software, and any accompaining materials are copyright of the service provider, which reserves all rights.
For the portion of the software that are open source, you agree to respect all
obligations in the respective license.
- Nothing in this section should be intended to overrule any other written agreement between you and the service provider. This includes, but is not limited to, any
sponsorship agreement contracted between you and Stanford University,
any worker agreement on a crowdsourcing platform (such as Amazon Mechanical Turk),
or any IRB-approved research consent form.
Disclaimer of warranty
- BECAUSE THE SERVICE IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE SERVICE,
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT
WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE
RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE IS WITH YOU.
- IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL THE SERVICE PROVIDER BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE (INCLUDING
BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED
BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE SERVICE TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER SERVICES),
EVEN IF THE SERVICE PROVIDER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Termination of agreement
- At any time, you have the right to delete your account, all your data, credentials and any other personally identifying information, by sending
an email to .
- At any time, the service provider reserves the right to terminate the service for any reason without notice. If that happens, you will have the right to
retrieve your data for 30 days from the date of the termination of service.
The service provider reserves the right to choose the technical means for you
to retrieve the data (e.g., email attachment, download link from the website,
transfer to a new service)
- In any case, this agreement shall be deemed terminated immediately in case of any breach or violation.