The ThingTalk library contains the AST definitions, the type system and compiler for the ThingTalk library.
You will need this library if:
- you want to extend Almond to support new constructs (available across all devices),
- you're writing Genie construct templates, or translating Genie templates to a new language
- you're using the Almond engine or dialog agent
This library can also be used from Thingpedia devices, if you require
you note the versioning policy (below). You must not bundle your own copy of the ThingTalk library.
If you do so, things are likely to break with obscure errors such as "Invalid type for parameter foo: expected String, got String".
In fact, Almond integrators and engine builders must also ensure only one copy of
the ThingTalk library is used at any time.
This package does not follow semantic versioning. Instead, the version should be interpreted as:
- Major version will be bumped for incompatible changes in the language, such that existing valid programs are no longer valid
- Minor version will be bumped for any change in the library, such as AST definitions, interfaces to compilation/optimization passes, adding and removing additional processing modules
- Patch version will be bumped for compatible bug fixes
Minor version bumps can introduce incompatibility to library users; it is recommended that library users use tilde version ranges on their ThingTalk dependency, or use a service such as Greenkeeper to check for incompatibilities.